Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial  (Read 1373 times)

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:03:31 AM »

By Fred C. Wilson III
Special to The Epoch Times
   Jul 02, 2008

\"Time will not dim the glory of their deeds.\" General John J. Pershing, U.S. Army

As an American visiting the Philippines, no trip is complete without a pilgrimage-tour of the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial.

This hallowed park honors the 17,006 United States and Filipino heroes who made the supreme sacrifice for their countrytheir young lives in Pacific Theater operations during World War II. I\'ve been to many cemeteries and taken active parts in funerals, but what really touched me greatly was seeing row after row after row of so many graves filled with the bodies or parts of so many young people. Though they didn\'t die in vain and all of them are undoubtedly heroes, it was just so sad to consider that the mean age of these brave was about 20.

(MORE)

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
Re: The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
Billy,

I agree with your sentiments.  The memorial cemetary is indeed a very special place. My wife and I attended several Easter Sunrise services there and later I took my visiting relatives there.. They couldnt thank me enough for guiding them to the park.  The place is perfect for some quiet reflection away from the crowds, smog and hub bub of noisy Manila. Also I think it really helpd my wife understand better the history our two nations share together as both\'s fallen heros rest in peace together.

About a decade ago..there was talk of moving the cemetary for urban development------------WHICH would be a shameful OUTRAGE. Glad the cemetary is maintained by the US national parks service so that desecration of hallowed ground will never happen.

Scott