Author Topic: Thermal Mass in tropical construction  (Read 1650 times)

Offline horseman

Thermal Mass in tropical construction
« on: July 12, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
I\'ve read a few posts here that suggest that heavy thermal mass might be a good idea for tropical construction.† Actually, I\'ve read a number of publications published by the Australian government as well as the State of Florida in the USA that suggest \"thermal mass\" is not a good idea in a tropical environment where the temperature variations between night and day are not that great. Poured concrete if steel reinforced offers typhoon and earthquake resistance...but as far a heat build up goes, it holds the heat unless† you can keep the concrete mass out of the sun and insulate the outside of the building to avoid heat build up.

Re: Thermal Mass in tropical construction
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
I\'ve read a few posts here that suggest that heavy thermal mass might be a good idea for tropical construction.† Actually, I\'ve read a number of publications published by the Australian government as well as the State of Florida in the USA that suggest \"thermal mass\" is not a good idea in a tropical environment where the temperature variations between night and day are not that great. Poured concrete if steel reinforced offers typhoon and earthquake resistance...but as far a heat build up goes, it holds the heat unless† you can keep the concrete mass out of the sun and insulate the outside of the building to avoid heat build up.

If you are not going to insulate the house then high thermal mass is a mistake. This is why a Nipa hut can be more comfortable than the more modern Block houses with iron roofs. If the house is well insulated, then the large cool tiled floor will help to keep it cool. Extra thermal mass could then be useful.

Colin

Re: Thermal Mass in tropical construction
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
I agree with Colin and to add, it depends on the mass involved! Concrete mass isn\'t the answer as said from my POV also, earth just might be, as can be seen in use world wide as to necessity then cost.
B-Ray

If you are not going to insulate the house then high thermal mass is a mistake. This is why a Nipa hut can be more comfortable than the more modern Block houses with iron roofs. If the house is well insulated, then the large cool tiled floor will help to keep it cool. Extra thermal mass could then be useful.

Colin