Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Sukis - a special business, customer relationship  (Read 2624 times)

Sukis - a special business, customer relationship
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
A sukis is a longstanding customer vendor relationship.  Vendors in the local markets collect a family of steady customers and the relationship is called sukis.  It\'s a relationship between the two that you\'d seldom encounter in the west.  A longstanding customer will pass by other vendors they\'ve seldom done business with in favor of their favorite, despite price.  The loyalty between the two is like a family relationship.  If the sukis is particularly strong, the vendor may be invited to his customer\'s family functions.  The practice is referred to as a sukis, but it may also mean \"long time customer\" depending upon how it\'s used.  A new vendor in the market has to build his own sukis over time with good PR!

Offline MikeOnQuest

Re: Sukis - a special business, customer relationship
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »
  Just curious .. would that be a tagalog word?

Mike J
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
Mike,

We live near Manila & \'Suki\" is used here (Tagalog). My Asawa is from Cebu & it is used there too (Visaya/Cebuana). So I guess it is used throughout RP.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »
We live near Manila & \'Suki\" is used here (Tagalog). My Asawa is from Cebu & it is used there too (Visaya/Cebuana). So I guess it is used throughout RP.[/color]

I\'m not a linguistic expert by any means.  We use \"sukis\" in the Bisayas and if it\'s used in Tagalog areas it must be more or less wide spread.  The practice by any name appears the same thoughout the RP. 

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
Playing tennis all the time with Filipinos (in Manila) they also use it as a joke. If they keep beating somebody easy they say he\'s my \"suki\", meaning of course a good customer.